Sunday, August 21, 2011

Serendipitous Day



The Grouse Grind has been on my "to do" list for three summers now. Yesterday I finally got my butt to Grouse Mtn. I do the Chief in Squamish quite often, but the Grind is 1km longer and I found it steeper than the Chief. The Chief has a few "breaks", the Grind is just straight up the entire way. It was busy as I heard it would be, but everyones going the same direction so it doesn't seem so bad. People smell nicer on The Grind vs. The Chief. A lot of cologne wearing. The last 1/4 of the climb was busy with mozzies! Sure made you climb that last bit faster-I literally ran into the lodge to escape them! Final time: 55mins. Now I have a time to beat-I'll be back.



The Grind actually became a very small part of my day that I had totally forgot about when I discovered that the top of Grouse has tons going on! I went over to the Grizzly habit, and got there for the breakfast feeding (apples).

Then I headed up the free chairlift towards the wind turbine. Great views of the city. Ziptrecks and paragliders taking off all the time. I slog back down the hill and go to the loggers show. Yup at this point I'm wondering A)"Where the heck am I?" and B) "How did I not know about all this?" So the loggers show was absolutely hilarious. I was laughing out loud the whole time. The tourists were eating it up. So different from the big Squamish show. Then I went to the pub for a beer while I waited for the bird show to start. This beer is the first money I've spent all day. Gotta like that. The bird show had this beautiful owl. We all know how fascinated I am with owls since the owl attacked me, saving me from the bear. (see older blog entry about that one) I start to head to the lodge when I hear a helicopter and there you have it, my top three favorite things: Wind turbines, helicopters, and owls. The gondola (sky ride) trip down was fun! That was a crazy ride. Saw some white wolves from the gondola, yes apparently there are white wolves, so I went to see those guys before heading home! So in total I spent 15$(beer+gondola). Thought I would do the hike and go home, and in the end I was up there for 8 hours. What a pleasant and unexpected day!


No comments:

Post a Comment