Thursday, June 2, 2011

Sport Beans. A.K.A. Crack beans.

Iron Knee 25+K


Grouse to Deep Cove. I love this race because it finishes in Deep Cove. Its always nice and hot. You chill on the grass afterwards, facing the ocean, sipping coffee, chatting to runners. In past years all I have ever remember of this race is the Powerline Hill-then its a roller coaster ride to the finish. All I remember of powerline is its a grind! Up, up,up! So with that in mind I head into Sundays race, I had run maybe twice since BMO on May1st, but I hit tons of C3 classes at http://www.challengebychoice.ca/, and get up the Chief at least 1x week. All I can think about race day is Powerline, powerline, powerline. Just hit it. Just do it. Just get it freaking over with and enjoy the ride afterwards. Well this year there was an addition 10min climb to start off race. Then I forgot all about the switchbacks, up, up, up. So I'm just running along dreading powerline, visualizing powerline, looking for powerline. Its all powerline. Along the way, I grab a wee little mini package of these jelly beans. Not sure why as I've never tried them. I gobble them up. Delicious! Sweet! A bit salty! Well, I'll tell you I finally hit powerline and I powerhoused up that hill! Just get it done, just do it, just get it freaking over with. Because I had already built it up as the longest hardest thing ever, I was so pleasantly surprised to hit the top so quickly! Ya! This aid station had a BOWL of these jelly beans. I needed more. I grabbed a massive handful and couldn't get them in my mouth quick enough. Well that roller coaster bit I mentioned? Well man it was fun! I was like Harry freaking Potter gliding through that trail! I even wiped out, rolled it out, and was back on my feet in seconds! Bee bobbin all around. Stoked to get to the finish with tons of energy to spare! Again a great race, and beautiful weather. Plus Tammy had a great race too, and we got to drive home with the top down!





Too bad those jelly beans still had me buzzing at 11pm! Shaking at 12, and going through withdrawal by 1!

No comments:

Post a Comment