Sunday, August 30, 2009

Ice Baths

A.K.A as cold water immersion for exercises recovery(cryotherapy)

I hate being cold. Hate, hate, hate, hate, double hate being cold. Not even a little bit, not even for a short time, not here, not there, not anywhere. So I have never attempted the ice bath..until today. As this weekend was my biggest running challenge yet, with 4hrs Saturday, 2:15 today I thought I should get on this program. I fill the bath,with cold water. I dip my toes in a few times. It really is cold like ice. LIKE ICE! Websites suggest immersion times to be 5-10minutes, and sometimes up to 20 minutes. So I just do it. Just get in and sit. It hurts. I look at the clock, and 5 seconds have gone by. Well I can definitely rule out the "sometimes up to 20 minutes" because that is not going to happen! I sit. OMG how I wish I had a toque, gloves and winter parka on. SO cold-leg hairs growing by the second. Shivering and shaking. 25 seconds. Seriously??!! How is this helping? My grandparents HAD to take ice baths because they had no hot water. I have free hot water! Why am I choosing this, why?
Because maybe one day Mr. Mc-Ice-bath below will ask me to ice bath with him. And I'll be able to say " Yah no prob. I love ice bathing! Your place or mine?"


2 comments:

  1. Elle-oh elle, oh my, that was some of the most entertaining blog posting I have read in a long time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have read that lukewarm is just as good. It's in this month's runner's world. Have you thought about ending at the lake and wading in instead? I just know there is NO WAY IN HELL I could ever do the ice bath thing. I can barely stand an ice pack. Good on you, I had a good laugh at your expense!!xoxox

    ReplyDelete