Sunday, November 22, 2009

x-training

As I've been waiting for this hammy injury to heal I've been doing everything else known to man besides running on land.
One lovely x-training method:

Water running:
My definition: running my ass off in water getting absolutely nowhere fast.

"The goal is to keep your body afloat while allowing you to perform a running motion without stress to the body.
Submerged in the water you will have resistance on all sides. This forces opposing muscles to work equally. As you move your arms and legs against the resistance of the water you will get a great cardiovascular, as well as, strength training workout."

Yes all of the above is true. Website failed to mention how boring and demoralizing it is. I was rather embarrassed showing up at the pool at 6am on my first day. I was worried I'd look like a tool, flailing away in the pool. The pool was busy with the elderly doing various forms of Aquacise, while sharing stories of recent cataract surgery's, and complaining about their grand-kids and their "antics." Well here I am, jumping(no-I climbed down the ladder) into the pool, floaty belt on-ready to run. Awkward at first, and varoom off I.....go. The speed of my leg/arm rotations definitely aren't matching the speed at which I am NOT moving. I yell to lifeguard (who I know) " I'm running my ass of here! Am I doing this wrong?" Nope, doing it right all right. So I "run" circles in the deep end for an hour, forced into listening all about hip replacements. Good gawd, the time goes so slow, then suddenly I have 10 minutes left! I tell the lifeguard that I may drown, and to please keep an eye on me, as I take the floaty belt off. This is more of a trying to keep my head above water exercise. Oh the fun.
Water running is a great cross training activity, and I quite look forward to the sessions.
(sometimes)


Another form of x-training has been my bike. Sometimes you'll find me at the gym, or riding in my living room, rocking out to my A.F.I concert DVD, waking up my landlords at 5am, and sweating my face off as I usually forget to turn my free heat off. (usually set at 28 Celsius). Good heat training for Costa Rica!!!

P.S. I ran on land today pain-free!!!

1 comment:

  1. That lving room set up looks sweet!! You're practically elite style now!

    ReplyDelete