Sunday, February 7, 2010

Stage 1

Stage 1
24.3k
1550m cumulative ascent
Time 4hrs, 34min


Alarm goes off at 3:30am. We all get bused to the race start in La Fortuna, a 3hour drive on a very windy road. I throw up all over my only pair of pants. Nerves? Motion sickness? Probably a good combination of both. Our personal ambulance led the racers out of town towards the road that takes us running up to Arenal Lake. Dry, hot climb. Then it was more climbing in the jungle. Felt like it was raining in there, even though I could see blue skies through the canopy. Descent was muddy and slippery! Accomplished my first river crossing, and ran along a suspension bridge towards a waterfall. The last hill climb towards the finish had an additional challenge for me: Horses. My biggest fear. They were scattered all over the road in front of me! This would be the first time I cry this week. I had to get through. I plugged my ears, and ran through, yelling "La, la,la,la!" They could really care less. I got to the top and joked with the paparazzi. They said: "Well I hope you don´t mind bulls and cows then?" I thought they were joking. No. Bulls and cows were laying down everywhere in front of me. I slalomed around them towards the descent into Margot Ranch. Day one done! Rest, relax, recover. Set up tent, have a freezing cold shower, and eat!

No comments:

Post a Comment