Monday, February 15, 2010

Stage 4

Stage 4
46.5km
Ascent:1550m
Time: 7:18ish? (Forgot to turn watch off)
Alarm goes off at 3:30am. Seriously am I done this thing yet! Pack up tent, and put on my now disgusting running cloths. Great news: no time cut off today!!!!! Phew-pure relief. My body feels like new, I have a great day. Run it all, and feel fantastic! Alot of fun BCish running trails through forests, and along paved and dirt roads. It was a hot one. The heats showed up as we get closer to the coast. Last 2km: straight up narrow path lined with prickle bushes on the right, barb wire fencing on the left, so careful what you grab! White faced monkeys stalking me in the trees above. I head down the other side to the river! I literally swim,crawl, get pulled by ropes, and rock hop to get up the river. Four guys pass me here as river wading is not my specialty! I'm grumpy about that, but then I see the finish. Which is smack in the middle of a waterfall-no joke! Judes not feeling great, and Massimiliano(Max) is lost. I get bussed back to camp after chilling in the waterfall. I fall asleep for two hours, and only wake because I think I hear an ice cream truck? I do! I do!!!! Ice cream bike. Best ice cream ever. I go back to sleep. Go to dinner, Max arrives. He ran 70km today instead of 46! He's laughing and smiling about it amazingly enough! Max tells me Judes in the medical tent. I go over to see whats up. I'm emotionally and mentally not prepared for what I see. Judes lying on the cot, eyes closed. IV hanging from a branch, leads to her wrist where I see a heart rate thing on her fingers. Four different people working on her. I'm taken aback. I start crying, as I have no idea what to do. Shes a Mom! A wife! How do I get her home? Duggie the foot DOC can see I'm shocked, and sends me to dinner. This happens all the time, she'll be ok, he says. WTF is going on! I sit for dinner, when Duggie comes and gets me-Judes awake. As soon as I see her I tear up. I say something stupid, and she laughs-making her heart rate go up! Awe...We both laugh and watch it go up. Judes trying to eat and hydrate. She sleeps in my tent that night as decisions weigh heavily on her mind. Ego's telling her to keep running(shes won everyday thus far, and has it in the bag), sensible side is telling her to keep her health-she has a two year old who needs his Mommy when she gets back. A healthy 100% Mommy. Jude doesn't run the next day. She had a tough decision to make, but I know she will go far in this sport, and kick ass in all future events! Proud to know you Jude. Love and admire you!

No comments:

Post a Comment