Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Stage 6

Stage 6
Km: 22km
Time: 3:30

What a beautiful sleep I had last night. I wake up at 5:15 on this glorious last day of racing. I roll over and open my eye. Yes eye. Apparently that bee/wasp is having the last laugh. I open my tent door only to see the Italians who look me in the eye, nod their heads, and then start laughing profusely. Its contagious. I laugh. Its only an eye, its the last day, and yes its pretty funny. My eye is swollen shut. I make my first visit to the DOC. He gives me two shots in the arm, one in the ass, and a little yellow pill. I take it all not having any idea what he's just injected in me. The DOC warns me that I will have no depth perception for the last 22km of this 220km race. He'll only let me run if I take it cautious on the slippery rocks along the ocean. Sure. Whatever. Seriously if this is the worst thing to happen to me in a 6 day run through the jungles of Costa Rica-I'll take it! Takes awhile to get used to running with one eye, I'm tripping all over the place as I can't decipher a pothole from an anthill. Feel a little wobbly drunk, and blurry. Oceans up next, and the rock hopping is too fun to take it easy! My shoulders are blistering from heat and sun exposure. I'm running along the rocks when I see King Richard. "100 meters to the finish!" he yells. No way. Really? I don't believe it. I rock hop like a little rock hopper would, get back on the sand and I see the finish! I run over the messages in the sand: "Way to go", "you did it", "you're amazing." I cross the finish, Jude's running towards me, beer in hand, arms outstretched for a finish line hug. Shes about to say my name...when thump, stumble, oof. She trips on a coconut, rolls ass over tea kettle, beer stays upright, and shes back on her feet. "That's the first time I've fallen all race!" she says as I finally get my Jude hug. Awe....

Beer time, and the eye is trying to open. First beer is heaven on earth like everyone said it would be. We wait for Jen to come through the finish. She has blisters for feet. Jen comes through! You did it Jen. What a freaking trooper! Now the rough part: cervezas poolside for hours on end. Sharing stories with new lifelong friends. High-fiving, whoop-whooping, sharing war stories and injury's, replaying the heartaches, tears, and pain. What we talk about the most though? Next year. See ya then amigos!


1 comment:

  1. Shan Shan I finally finished to read your race report and what an amazing memory you will have! It sounds like quite the "Adventure" and I imagine everything else will be "easy peasy" after that! Still wanna hear the dirty little details that didn't make the race report though! Maybe bike, run Chief, bike , Starbucks on weekend?

    ReplyDelete