Sunday, February 7, 2010

Stage 2

Stage 2
62.4k
4,280m cumulative ascent.
Time: 11hrs, 43mins.

Alarm goes off at 4am. I put my still soaked running cloths from yesterday on, and pack up my tent. Breakfasts were mostly rice,beans, and eggs. I learned to omit the rice beans combo. I am feeling stiff already, and am very nervous about making the PC#2 cutoff. If I don´t get to PC#2 by 6hrs,30mins I get get cut to the adventure category(shorter distance race). PC#2 was located at km 35. Seems reasonable right? Not when there is 1,376m elevation climb that is calve deep, thick mud mixed with cow dung. My shoe actually came off and was stuck in the slop! Two steps forwards, one step back. So frustrating-especially with a time deadline. Earlier that morning the run started with three river crossings. I almost missed one river-lucky Jen was calling my name and I quickly realized I´d missed a turn. Thanks Jen! We then proceeded through cow patty hell. I was basically getting my legs cut up by prickly grass, then running through muddy cow dung mash. Just when I think it can´t get any grosser, this route leads to a water/mush combo I sludged through. Then starts the pre-mentioned mud/dung climb to the top. I´m greeted at the top by Eric, who is huddled under a blanket shaking like a crack head. He says"5k to PC#1" I actually felt bad for him freezing his arse off! Then I gunned it out of there. I get in, and out of PC#1 quickly, and am now focused on the dreaded cut off PC#2. My timings looking good, but who knows what sort of terrain I have in store? If its anything like the last 15.5k I´ll never make it. If its run-able-I´ll make it. But looky here-downhill! I race down all stoked, then boom. Up, up, and more up. Wind, rain coming at me sideways, stinging my face. My visor and Sunny's seem quite ridiculous at this point. More climbs, and the time is ticking. One hill is so steep I feel my self sliding backwards. A local offered me a ride. Oh how I wish! Near the top I stop to talk to some cows who are curiously checking me out. So I entertained them with some hot topics of conversation. On I go, up and I see the ambulance!!!! Whats the news? He says 6k to PC#2. My watch is at 5hrs. That's 1.5hrs I have to do 6km. Which means nothing in this race. I know I´ll be crying at the PC either way. I gun it, I stop, I stumble, I gun it again, stop, flounder, complain to my ego a bit, keep going, no I can´t make it, I gun it, oh man another hill, I want to cry, just go forwards. Ugggg!!! My quads are killing me! This is stupid, why? Why?! Who cares about a cut off anyway? Blah, blah, blah--the PC!!!!!!!! I see it! Tim's just ahead of it, he says"You made it with a half hour to spare!" Yah I did!!!! YESSS!!!! I sit. Ditch my mud caked socks, eat and drink. Massimiliano (Italy), and Melida(Costa Rica) come through just in time as well. The three of us mission on. Massimiliano(Max) partner's not there. He thinks Filippo won´t make it. The three of us spend the next 5 something hours trying to communicate. Delirious giggles, communication break downs, and sheer elation. We´re cruising along, when who runs up behind us? Filippo! He made it! Yah! Hugs, and high fives all around. It was awesome. I eat 8 boiled potatoes at PC#3. Who knew those were so damned good? We take off to the wind turbine section, which means its windy. None of us had any muscle control, we were hurting, and tired. The wind had no problem moving us around. We looked like a bunch of drunks stumbling all over the place, and crashing into each other. I have video of it-pretty funny. Finally at hour 10 I take my first pee. This is after about 8 litres of water-at least. Now we have to maneuver between barb wired fences. Not easy when I can´t even lift my leg up-let alone balance my body between sharp, rusty barbwire! We get to the finish just as the sun is setting. LOL. Everyones already eating dinner. I´m a mess. Its really windy, cold, and wet. I have a cold shower in a dark cold room. I put my thermarest down on the concrete floor in the eating area (I can´t deal with putting up my tent right now), and I fall asleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment